TVET Funding In South Africa. Technical and Vocational Education and Training courses are vocational or occupational by nature. Meaning that, student receives education and training with a view towards a specific range of jobs, employment or entrepreneurial possibilities.
TVET Funding In South Africa
Why study at a TVET college?
A TVET qualification will equip you with vocational & occupational skills that you will need to find employment in South Africa. Also, it will enable your entrepreneurial potential to start new ventures. South Africa is in shortage of skills in engineering, manufacturing, construction, agriculture, etc. that will build a strong economy; and the TVETs are the vehicle to a new skills revolution.
What courses are offered at TVET colleges?
Naturally the costs of the courses also vary considerably but it is important to remember that Department of Higher Education and Training programmes are subsidised by 80% of the delivery cost and for the remaining 20% that would be paid by the student, many full bursaries are available.
NSFAS funds Ministerial approved programmes and students must refer to each college, however the generally funded programmes are below:
- Engineering Studies – (National Certificate -Vocational) NQF levels 2-4 & Engineering studies – Report 191 N1-N6
- Engineering and Related Design; Electrical Infrastructure; Civil Engineering Construction and Information Technology & Computer Science
- Business & Utility Studies (National Certificate – Vocational) NQF levels 2-4 & Report 191 N1-N6
- Management; Marketing; Finance; Office Administration; Economics & Accounting; Education & Development; Hospitality; Tourism; Safety in Society and Transport & Logistics
- Pre-Learning Programme (PLP) funding through NSFAS
- Only South African citizens are eligible for this bursary scheme;
- A student must be registered or intending to register on a PLP, NC(V) or Report 191 programme at any of the fifty (50) public TVET Colleges in South Africa;
- Must be in need of financial assistance (NSFAS will determine whether or not a student meets the financial eligibility criteria);
- Returning students must demonstrate proven and accepted academic performance (academically deserving) in line with the College’s progression policy or the progression prescriptions of the Bursary Rules and Guidelines (whichever is higher);
- Must not be enrolling for a qualification that duplicates previous learning that was state-funded; and
- Applicants will qualify if they fall within the maximum threshold of up to R350,000 of combined gross family income per annum and are admitted/received a firm offer for enrolment in a College.
National Certificate Vocation (NC(v)) , Semester 1 and Trimester 1 – Annual – online application and walk in assistive capture application at the beginning of each year
Trimester 2 & 3 as per DHET calendar, in May and September respectively , also Walk in assistive capture application
Semester 2 June – July walk in, assistive capture application
Where to apply for TVET College funding?
You can apply through:
- TVET college bursary offices
- NSFAS head office
For NSFAS qualifying students we pay for:
- Registration & Tuition Fees
- Personal Care Allowance
- Transport Allowance
- Accommodation Allowance