Welcome to our comprehensive guide to university entry requirements in Tanzania! In this guide, we will walk you through everything you need to know in order to gain admittance into your dream university. We will cover the different types of universities in Tanzania, the admission process, and the specific entry requirements for each one. We hope that this guide will be helpful in your journey towards higher education!
University Entry Requirements in Tanzania: The Ultimate Guide
So, you want to study in Tanzania? Excellent choice! Tanzania is a beautiful country with a rich culture and a diverse landscape. It’s also home to some of the best universities in Africa. If you are considering applying for an undergraduate degree in Tanzania, then you might be wondering what university entry requirements are in Tanzania. it’s important to consider the type of program and entry requirements before you start your application.
There are different entry requirements for each course of study, so you will need to find out what these are from the general entry requirements to specific requirements that applicable to university you are interested in. The Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) is responsible for setting and enforcing General university entry requirements in Tanzania. All public and private universities in Tanzania must adhere to the standards set by the TCU.
Check Also >> Sifa Za Kujiunga Na Vyuo Mbalimbali Tanzania 2022
General university entry requirements in Tanzania
The process of getting admitted into the university can be a tedious one. Especially if you’re looking forward to getting a good university degree from a top university e.g University of Dar es salaam (UDSM) or University of Dodoma (UDOM). This is because the increasing number of university applicants which makes the whole admission process competitive
The general university entry requirements are made to make sure there fairness in university admission and all admitted applicants fulfil the minimum entry requirements for universities with the country.
Understanding Undergraduate Entry pathways
- Direct entry scheme: Direct entry scheme will involve all applicants who completed their Advanced Level Secondary Education or equivalent and attain the minimum entry qualifications.
- Equivalent qualifications entry scheme: Equivalent qualifications entry scheme will involve holders of Ordinary Diploma or Equivalent Qualifications and attain the minimum entry qualifications.
- Foundation Programme entry scheme: Foundation Certificate pathway will involve graduates of the Open University of Tanzania who have attained a GPA of 3.0.
The minimum requirements for admission to a bachelor’s degree program at a university in Tanzania are as follows:
Requirements For Applicants Completed A’ Level Studies before 2014: Two principal passes with a total of 4.0 points in Two Subjects defining the admission into the respective programme (where A = 5; B = 4; C= 3; D = 2; E = 1; S = 0.5)
Requirements For Applicants Completed A’ Level Studies in 2014 and 2015: Two principal passes (‘C’ and above) with a total of 4.0 points from Two Subjects defining the admission into the respective programme (where A = 5; B+ = 4; B = 3; C= 2; D = 1; E = 0.5)
Requirements For Applicants Completed A’ Level Studies from 2016 onwards: Two principal passes with a total of 4.0 points in Two Subjects defining the admission into the respective programme (where A = 5; B = 4; C= 3; D = 2; E = 1; S = 0.5)
Foundation Programme of the OUT:
- A GPA of 3.0 accumulated from six core subjects and at least a C grade from three subjects in a respective cluster (Arts, Science and Business Studies) PLUS
- An Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination with at least 1.5 from two subjects OR An Ordinary Diploma from the recognized institution with a GPA of at least 2.0 OR
- NTA level 5 /Professional Technician Level II Certificate.
Specific Entry requirements Into Top Universities In Tanzania
In addition to general entry requirements which are as shown above, all university applicants must fulfil the entry requirements applied in respective institution. The majority of top universities in Tanzania want academic excellence, so they’ll only offer admission to students who have a solid background in their school subjects.
If you want to study in one of these most prestigious universities in the Tanzania like University of Dar es salaam and make your mark on history, you need to meet some stiff entry requirements. You should also note that have all of these requirements might not grand you a direct ticket, these requirements tend to be high depending on the performance of all applicants.
The well performer from form six Necta examination are the one who likely to secure the place on the first batch selection. Below we have list the specific University Entry Requirements in Tanzania applied in University of Dar es salaam (UDSM) & University of Dodoma (UDOM)
University of Dar es salaam (UDSM) Entry Requirements
Check Also >> Udsm Fee Structure 2021/22 pdf
A candidate shall be deemed eligible for consideration for admission to a first-degree programme of the University of Dar es Salaam if the candidate has the following qualifications:
- Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (CSEE) or equivalent, with passes in FIVE approved subjects THREE of which must be at Credit level obtained prior to sitting for the Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (ACSEE) or equivalent;
- An appropriate equivalent Diploma of a GPA not less than 3.5 for Ordinary Diplomas or B+ average for Teacher Education and Health Related diplomas or Distinction for unclassified awards or B grade for Full Technician Certificates or Upper Second Class for non-NTA diplomas obtained from a college which is fully registered by NACTE and approved by the UDSM Senate.
Read More >> Sifa Za Kujiunga Na Chuo Cha Udsm 2022
University of Dodoma (UDOM) Entry Requirements
Check Also >> Udom Fee Structure 2021/2022 pdf
- Recognition of Prior Learning: For the applicants with RPL qualification the minimum qualification is ‘B’ grade.
- Equivalent qualifications : For Diploma applicants the minimum entry qualification is at least Four O level passes(D’s and above)or NVA level III with less than four O level passes or equivalent foreign qualifications as established by either NECTA or VETA.
- Ordinary Diploma (NTA Level 6) with at least GPA of 3.0; or
- Full Technician Certificate (FTC) with at least points average of 3.0 (where A=5, B=4, C=3, and D=2points); or
- Diploma in Teacher Education with an average of ‘B’ grade; or
- Health related awards such as clinical medicine and others with an average of ‘B’ grade; or
- Credit class diploma for classified diplomas and certificates in terms of‘distinctions, credit or pass’ or
- Lower Second Class diploma for classified non-NTA diplomas;
So there you have it! The complete guide to university entry requirements in Tanzania. We hope you found this information helpful. If you have any questions or need more information, please don’t hesitate to drop it on our comment section below.