Innovation Hub Director at Ifakara Health Institute March 2022
The core purpose and role of the Innovation Hub Director is to provide leadership and direction to achieve the Innovation Hub’s vision.
Position: Innovation Hub Director
Reports To: Chief Executive Director – Ifakara Health Institute
Work Station: Ifakara – Morogoro with frequent travel
Apply By: March 16th 2022
Ifakara Innovation Hub is a program that is currently supported by the Botnar Foundation and Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC). The vision of this program is to have a sustainable legal entity by the end of 2024 that promotes innovation and entrepreneurship in Tanzania. The program is envisioned to strengthen the ecosystem of Kilombero Valley through collaboration and by making sure all members of community, including youth and women in Ifakara District Council are engaged and come up with innovative solutions that, if supported, can address their own problems.
Apart from having a workspace for the community in Ifakara Town, the program has established a Product Development Partnership (PDP), which aims to support the development of innovative products in the health sector, specifically medical devices based on needs and opportunities identified from ideation to commercialization. The PDP includes Villgro Africa, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) from Switzerland, Bongo-TECH Research Lab, Robotech Labs, Ifakara Health Institute and the Ifakara Innovation Hub.
The core purpose and role of the Innovation Hub Director is to provide leadership and direction to achieve the Innovation Hub’s vision. He/she will be responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission, strategic direction, and financial objectives. In general, the Director will perform all duties incident to the office and such other duties that will be assigned by the Executive Committee from time to time.
The Innovation Hub Director is expected to mobilize resources and implement high quality programs that will enable the sustainability of the hub by 2024 and will be responsible for establishing and communicating the vision for the Hub and for implementing new approaches. Further to that will ensure effective implementation of the strategy, drive implementation and report on results. He/she will provide direction and supervise his/her team and drive results as per the agreed target set by the Executive Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities and DO NOT serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by the Innovation Hub Director:
- Provide leadership in developing and implementation of the programs to achieve the set targets by the donors and Executive Committee.
- Provide a clear vision, purpose for the organisation.
- Operate as a positive role model for the culture of the organization, principled and acts with integrity.
- Understand and navigate organization dynamics; builds strong informal and formal networks.
- Develop a high performing collaborative team; is inspirational and present.
- Provide the Executive Committee with trusted feedback and advice.
- Resourceful and willing to take measured risks.
- Ensures Ifakara Innovation Hub has a long-term strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Understands context and has a clear long-term view. Navigates ambiguity and is relentlessly solutions driven.
- Uses strong analytical and innovative thinking to develop a clear business strategy to achieve goals.
- Ensures alignment with Program strategic direction.
• Staff and partners Relations:
- In consultation with the host institution be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both full-time staff and consultants.
- In consultation with the host institutions ensure job descriptions TORs are developed, regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource and partnership management practices are in place.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality employees, partners and consultants.
- See that the Executive Director of host Institute and Executive Committee is kept fully informed on the condition of the Innovation Hub and all-important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of Innovation hub, its programs and goals.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to donor agencies, partner organizations, private sector clients and the public.
- Ensure there is a clear communication strategy which maximizes opportunities for advocacy, fundraising and builds Ifakara Innovation Hub reputation.
• Financial Management:
- Work with the Ifakara Health Institute Chief Executive Officer and his team to develop and maintain sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff and the Product Development and Partnership (PDP) partners in preparing a budget, project performance reports (financial and technical) as required by the Executive Committee and donors.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the Innovation Hub to carry out its work.
- Conduct official correspondence of the organization and ensure proper execution of legal documents as per the advice of Ifakara Health Institute Executive Director.
• Resource Mobilization:
- Maintain networks with Innovation Hub current and potential funders to pursue opportunities for funding.
- Develop high performing fundraising strategies which are cost effectively, result oriented and easy to implement by the team.
- Pursue strategic partnerships and that advance Innovation hub access to funding.
- Prepare concept notes and proposals in response to funding opportunities.
- Prioritize investments to support Innovations that has potential for commercialization that the hub will get return on investment.
Qualification and Experience
- At least bachelor degree in engineering, business, economics, innovation, M&E or any related field.
- PhD and Master is an added advantage.
- 5+ years of executive management experience leading an Innovation program or non-profit organizations and manage team members, partners with diverse experience and own businesses.
- Experience with fundraising and partnership development is a must.
- Well-rounded experience in supporting Innovators at all stages, finance management, marketing, and client outreach.
- Experienced to transform a project into a sustainable organization
- Experience to blend the livelihood program with commercialization program
- Experience as a leader on supporting Innovators and work with community
- Experience on managing relationship with key strategic partners and donors
- Work to establish an organization that came from the project funding that is funded by multiple international donors and non-profit industry associations.
- Experienced in innovation support programs and ready to work with diverse group of people with different background to increase the number of locally developed Innovative products in the market.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong strategic capability with a passion for leading and mentoring staff.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Commitment to continuing development of self and team members.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Business acumen and financial literacy.
- Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Strong corporate governance skills.
- An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below. The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Wednesday March 16th 2022. All e-mail application subject lines should include: INNOVATION HUB DIRECTOR. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Email: [email protected]