How to submit an income tax return SARS ITR12

How to submit an income tax return SARS ITR12

Taxpayers are required to file an income tax return with SARS so that SARS can calculate their tax liability based on the declared income and tax-deductible expenses they incurred for one year of assessment. In some cases it may result in a refund to the taxpayer. Annual tax season is the time when you will be required to file a return.

How to submit an income tax return SARS ITR12
How to submit an income tax return SARS ITR12

How to submit an income tax return SARS ITR12

If you need to submit an income tax return, you can complete and submit it to SARS via the following channels:

  • eFiling on your computer – simply register for eFiling at
  • Filing electronically at a SARS branch where an agent will assist you – please remember to bring along all your supporting documentation. Remember to make an appointment​ before you visit a branch.
  • Requesting a return to be posted to you and completing your return manually and submitting it at a SARS branch.

When you are done with your return, you will have your supporting documents on hand. You may need to refer to some of the supporting documents listed below, while completing your return; However, you should not introduce it to SARS. You should keep it safely in your possession for at least five years in case SARS needs access to it in the future.

  • Your IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s) which you will receive from your employer
  • Medical certificates as well as documents required for amounts claimed in addition to those covered by your medical aid.
  • Pension and retirement annuity certificates
  • Your banking details
  • Travel logbook (if you receive a travel allowance)
  • Tax certificates that you received in respect of investment income (IT3(b))
  • Completed confirmation of diagnosis of disability (ITR-DD – Confirmation of Diagnosis of Disability – External Form), where applicable
  • Information relating to capital gain transactions, if applicable
  • The approved Voluntary Disclosure Programme (VDP) Agreement between yourself and SARS for years prior to 17 February 2010, where applicable
  • Financial statements, e.g. business income, where applicable
  • Any other documentation relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim.

Who should submit an income tax return?

Not all taxpayers need to file an income tax return. Click here to see if you need to file a return.

For more information Visit SARS official Webpage

Learn Also

Triple Michael
Triple Michael is a gamer and a computer enthusiast who enjoys assisting others by publishing answers to Windows and Android operating system difficulties. In his spare time, he likes watching movies and playing video games.